• Hydration and UV protection are the keys to maintaining healthy skin during the summer
• Sun-damaged skin needs extra hydration and nutrients to help it get back to normal
Between soaring temperatures and the sun’s rays, skin takes a beating during the summer. But it doesn’t have to: follow these easy guidelines to maintain hydrated, healthy, protected skin all summer long.
1. Exfoliate for smooth, clear skin
Exfoliating removes dead, dulling skin debris to prevent congestion and help improve the performance of your other skin care products.
When: Perform in the mornings prior to toner, moisturizer, SPF and make-up application.
(Pro tip: exfoliating helps your make-up last longer!)
Don’t forget: After exfoliating, always apply moisturizer to seale in hydration – and of course, always shield freshly exfoliated skin with a Broad Spectrum SPF.
Our top picks: Daily Microfoliant, Daily Superfoliant
2. Keep skin hydrated
Hydration is more than just moisturizer! For optimal hydration, customize your regimen:
• First, find the daily moisturizer that’s right for your skin condition.
• Add a toner like Antioxidant HydraMist for an added boost of hydration. This is also great for travel!
• Up your regimen’s level of hydration with an intensive masque once or twice a week.
3. Make friends with H2O
Rising temperatures + time spent in the sun = dehydration, not just for your skin but for your entire body! Fortunately, the old adage holds true: eight glasses a day of plain, filtered water (more when you’re physically active) helps maintain hydration levels for your skin and body.
4. When in doubt, apply more sunscreen
Most people don’t apply nearly enough sunscreen. Here are some guidelines to staying safe and protected:
• Use a tablespoon of SPF for your face and neck. For body, apply enough to fill a shot glass.
• Reapply every two hours when you’re out in the sun.
• If possible, avoid direct sun from mid-morning to late afternoon, when the sun’s rays are strongest.
Fortunately, today’s sophisticated sunscreen formulas let you choose sun protection that works with your skin condition!
Our top picks: Prisma Protect SPF 30 or Dynamic Skin Recovery SPF 50.
5. Soothe over-exposed skin
Forgot to reapply sunscreen? Don’t fret! The sun damage is already done, but soothing and hydrating sunburned skin can help prevent peeling and reduce redness. Hydrate irritated skin with a spritz of Multi-Active Toner (pro tip: keep it in the fridge for a cooling effect)!
6. Repair and treat sun damage
What causes it: UV light causes photoaging in the form of brown spots, coarse skin and wrinkles – even when you don’t get a sunburn. Exposure to sunlight triggers a cascade of skin-damaging effects, resulting in inflammation, production of reactive oxygen molecules that affect healthy cell growth, and stimulation of collagen-destroying enzymes.
What to do: First and foremost, opt for a fake tan rather than risking sun damage! Nourish skin with damage-fighting treatments like BioLumin-C Serum, MultiVitamin Power Recovery Masque and Overnight Retinol Repair.
Our Salon Team
Our team have a wealth of experience in the beauty industry, with varied & interesting experiences in their careers that they are excited to share with you. They will provide lots of varied informational posts including skincare, nails, behind the scenes, product information, how to's, and much more.