You will need:
• A strong, rough grit nail file
• A smoother grit nail file
• A soft nail buffer
• A cuticle pusher or orangewood stick
• Cuticle oil / cuticle conditioner / hand cream
You cannot soak off the hard gels we use, they can only be filed off.
Gel is a softer product than acrylic so files off easier but you must exercise extreme caution as you get closer to the nail plate. You can cause damage easily so please be careful. If you feel any heat or pain make sure to stop and look at what you are doing.
Using the strong, rough grit nail file, reduce the length of your nails and file across the top of your gel nails. Do not saw back and forth as this creates heat. Take long strokes using as much of the length of your file as you can, lift off the nail at the end of each stroke. As the gel thins and you get closer to your natural nail, change to the smoother side of your file.
DO NOT CUT THE LENGTH with a clippers or any other cutting tool - this can be tempting but you can shatter the gel and the cracks can go in any direction, they can travel up the nail and possibly split your own natural nail.
As you get closer to the natural nail you will find it harder to differentiate between the product and your own nail. Be prepared to leave a little product on the nail plate. You can also swipe the nail with a little acetone or non-oily polish remover on cotton wool. Your natural nail will show a chalky finish, the product will look smoother, only file on the product. (make sure to protect your work surface before using acetone or polish remover)
Once you have removed your product, carry out a mini manicure.
• Trim and file the free edge of the nails, use a fine grit file.
• Soak the nails in warm water or apply cuticle eraser to soften the cuticles so you can push them back with your cuticle pusher.
• Buff the nails lightly to remove and dry or dead cells, take care not to buff too much as you can thin out the nail plate.
• Apply cuticle oil/cuticle conditioner/hand cream and massage into the cuticle area of the nails.
We have files, buffers and cuticle oils available to purchase from the salon. Please contact us if you need anything.
Our Salon Team
Our team have a wealth of experience in the beauty industry, with varied & interesting experiences in their careers that they are excited to share with you. They will provide lots of varied informational posts including skincare, nails, behind the scenes, product information, how to's, and much more.