What you will need:
• A rough grit nail file
• A fine grit nail file
• A soft nail buffer
• Pre-cut squares of tin foil
• Nail Wipes / Cotton Wool Discs
• Orangewood Stick
• Cuticle Oil/ Cuticle Conditioner/ Hand Cream
This will take time and elbow grease so be prepared!!
Using the strong rough grit nail file, file across the top of your acrylic nails. Acrylic is a hard product and is not as easy to file as gel. You need to fully remove the top coat/gel polish and create deep scratches in the nails that will allow the acetone to penetrate more easily. Work one hand at a time.
DO NOT CUT THE LENGTH with a clippers or any other cutting tool - this can be tempting but you can shatter the acrylic and the cracks can go in any direction, they can travel up the nail and possibly split your own natural nail.
Cut the nail wipes into halves and soak a piece with acetone. Please take care when using acetone at home. It is a solvent and if spilled can affect painted or varnished surfaces. It is advisable to place a protective layer on your surface.
Place the piece onto the nail and wrap the nail in tin foil, repeat on all 10 nails. Soak for at least 20 minutes.
Remove the tin foil from one nail at a time and using a cuticle pusher or orangewood stick scrape any product from the nail plate. With acrylic, you may not get all the product in the first go. You may need to re-soak the cotton wool and wrap again. Repeat for each nail. This is the time consuming part and you may not get all of the product off. Please be careful if filing over the top off the nail to get product off, make sure to use a softer file and if you feel heat or pain, stop.
Once you have removed your product, carry out a mini manicure.
• Trim and file the free edge of the nails, use a fine grit file.
• Soak the nails in warm water or apply cuticle eraser to soften the cuticles so you can push them back with your orangewood stick.
• Buff the nails lightly to remove any dry or dead cells, take care not to buff too much as you can thin out the nail plate.
• Apply cuticle oil/cuticle conditioner/hand cream and massage into the cuticle area of the nails.
We have a Gel Polish / Acrylic nail removal kit available to purchase on our online store.
Our Salon Team
Our team have a wealth of experience in the beauty industry, with varied & interesting experiences in their careers that they are excited to share with you. They will provide lots of varied informational posts including skincare, nails, behind the scenes, product information, how to's, and much more.